Fireplaces exude a sense of comfort and warmth for you and your family, and with proper care, they can remain that center of peace within the home. Taking correct measures, through both your own actions and those of a professional, can eliminate problems including chimney fires and carbon monoxide leaks.
Eliminate Creosote Buildup
A leading cause of chimney fires is a buildup of creosote, the byproduct of burning wood. This substance is still highly flammable even after cooling, and with enough of it present, and a high enough temperature, it can catch fire.
One step you can take to reduce this risk is to make sure there is proper air supply to your firebox, thus allowing fires to burn hotter and reducing the amount of moisture and smoke in the chimney. You can also choose to use only seasoned wood. More than one-fifth of unseasoned wood is water. When it burns, that water creates lower-temperature smoke that condenses quickly and begins to build up. Burning seasoned wood eliminates this hazard.
Seek Professional Maintenance for Chimney Integrity
Scheduled annual maintenance for chimney restoration Wallkill NY can keep your chimney in proper working order prior to seasonal use. Having a certified chimney sweep check for and remove blockages such as leaves or animal nests lowers the chance of carbon monoxide seeping back into your home. They will also inspect the structural nature of your chimney, no matter what material it is made from, to look for cracks, weak spots, creosote buildup and any other issues that could contribute to an eventual chimney fire.
Fire safety within the home is something everyone needs to stay on top of, and having a wood-burning stove makes it even more important. Practicing safe burning techniques coupled with professional, certified care can keep your home and everyone in it remain safe and sound.